The attorneys at Edwards & Curtis LLC, understand what you are going through from firsthand experience. Our attorneys are entrepreneurs, businessmen and lawyers in addition to being experienced litigators. They have helped hundreds of businesses get started, and they have also owned and operated many different types of companies. These attorneys know what it takes to get your business moving in the right direction.
John C. Edwards has owned such businesses as a NASD broker-dealer, a blockbuster video store, pizza restaurants, retail gift and sundry stores, candy stores and a management company that ran retail outlets in five states. B. Glen Johnson has owned nightclubs and restaurants, and has served on the board of directors for several companies as well as taught business management on the college level.
Managing Risks While Maintaining Returns
We can help you balance your exposure to risk and return on investment. We can help you realize your dream of business ownership while preparing for the contingencies of taxable liability or lawsuit. Deciding how to structure your business is the first step. Our attorneys can help you — as the owner of a new or growing business — choose among the following business structures based on a risk assessment of your business and relative to your exposure to legal and taxable liability:
- Limited liability companies (LLCs)
- Joint ventures
- Nonprofit corporations
Aggressive Business Litigation
Your business’s viability and profitability hinges on others performing their parts of the bargain. When a business transaction is not completed as planned, it is important to assert and enforce your legal right to sue. The scope of our business litigation practice encompasses:
- Loan default and collections litigation
- Breach of contract litigation
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Commercial property purchase and sale
Often, parties can manage a business dispute without litigation if dealt with promptly. However, when litigation becomes necessary, you want an experienced lawyer on your side. Our lawyers offer over 75 years of collective experience and the right business perspective.
Assisting You With Transactional Business Needs
Owning and operating your own business puts you in a position of authority — and with authority comes responsibility. When decisions need to be made, you inevitably will be on the frontline. Knowing what to expect and how to proceed in these situations can be invaluable to you as you operate and grow your business. There are three key areas where an attorney from Edwards & Curtis LLC, can prove their worth:
- General business reporting obligations — IRS auditors are looking for you to account for the use of your money, time and resources during each fiscal year at the year-end. Retaining the services of an attorney and an accountant can save you the headache and hassle of end-of-the-year reporting while proactively managing tax-break opportunities.
- Contract negotiations (vendor-supplier, manufacturer-distributor, broker-dealer, etc.) — No business is run on a handshake and a smile. Every business relies on the good faith performance of the terms under a contract. The terms of a well-crafted agreement should explain when payments are to be made, to whom, for how much and what results in the event of a breach.
- Hiring or firing a new employee — Half of what a business trades on is good will. So, it is important to secure the loyalty of your employees and your sales force through noncompete and nondisclosure agreements. An employment contract can further specify terms for compensation and performance review, tailored to each employee on a case-by-case basis.
Get Your Business The Help It Needs
Ready to take your business to the next level? Work with our team of lawyers to get the confidence that comes with knowing that someone at the firm is readily available to review and assess your case. Arrange a consultation with our firm to learn more. Call our Canton office at 770-628-1100, or reach us online to schedule your appointment.